Wednesday, January 25, 2017

1.21.2017 OCG Tournament Report featuring "Ancient Gears" and "The Beast"!

(Arcknight) Hello there RespectYGOers! I apologize for the short delay, as promised here is a short tournament report featuring my "Ancient Gear" deck and my new tech card (Which I will discuss at the end of this article so please be advised lol).

This is an official sanctioned/ranking tournament held in the Philippines with a meta which can be compared with the likes of other Asian countries like Japan, Singapore, Malaysia etc. (Ehem Zodiacs, ehem true draco, ehem wallet lol). As usual, we used the OCG January list and every round is timed.

Here's what happened:





Deck Used: Ancient Gears
Players: 8
Format: OCG Single Elimination

Round 1: Me VS. Nekroz

Game 1: Managed to pull out  2 "Chaos Ancient Gear Giant" and win.
Game 2: Opponent has the Djinn Lock with the Nekroz Gungnir lady (The one that prevents destruction) so at this point, it was a pretty soft lock. Still, I managed to defend myself using my side "Torrential Tribute" even though he has the gungnir. Good thing, I have a second Torrential Tribute so I was able to wipe his field. Next, I was able to summon "True King V.F.D., the beast", stunning his big Nekroz of Decisive Armor. I was able to gather my resources since V.F.D Prevents every water to attack and use effects, I managed to beat the decisive using "Chaos Ancient Gear Giant".

Round 2: Me VS. Zodiac True Draco

Game 1: Chills. Of course, I'm battling with a very strong deck. I won the die roll but I let him go first. He managed to summon 5 xyz monsters with Dracia and everything. On my turn, I summoned "Ancient Gear Chaos Giant" which he destroyed by using Drancia. Next, I activate my "Overload Fusion" to banish the same 4 gears I used to summon the giant and summon another Giant. Attack all of his 5 monsters in defense mode (I think that was all in defense but I'm not really sure) and win as Chaos Giant can attack every monster once and has piercing damage. And the ATK is 4500 lol. Lucky Round.

Game 2: Zodiac true king combo is too much to handle for me as I don't have the necessary combos.
 Game 3: Time is called. I let my opponent go first. Zodiac combo in defense mode. On my turn, I summoned" Ancient Gear Hunting Hound" and he used "Zoodiac Beasy Drancia" to destroy it though the burn effect of hound triggers by the time he is normal summoned so I win.

Final Round: Me VS. D/D/D 
Game 1: Lose?
Game 2: I let him go first. He managed to do the D/D/D stunts with Genghis. At the end, I was able to push for damage using "Ancient Gear Reactor Dragon" preventing his "D/D Orthros" from activating and destroy his spell and trap cards.
Game 2 & 3 : Last 3 turns, he let me go first, I don't have the necessary combo but great thing , I have a "Forbidden Chalice", preventing his "D/D Savant Kepler" from using its effect. On my turn, I was able to rush the game (as this will be my last turn) to summon 2 "Ancient Gear Reactor Dragons" destroying his backrow and "Dark Contracts" and summon "True King V.F.D., the Beast". On the final turn which is his, I used the effect of "True King V.F.D., the Beast" and declare DARK. Meaning to say, all monsters on the field and his possession (Hand, field , grave) with that attribute cannot Attack or use their effects and this includes all monsters summoned on the field even after the resolution of VFD. In other words, his monster cards are in a soft lock and the only way to steal the game is to use card effects that burn.

Result: Champion 



Before further ado, let's discuss my secret Tech card "True King V.F.D., the beast" and the rulings from Konami itself to better explain how this card really functions.

MACR-JP046 – Ultra Rare
Shinryuu-Oh The Beast / True King V.F.D., The Beast
Rank 9 DARK Wyrm-Type Xyz Effect Monster
ATK/3000, DEF/3000
Xyz Materials: 2 or more Level 9 monsters
(1) Once per turn, during either player’s turn: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card, then declare 1 Attribute; all face-up monsters on the field will become that Attribute, also monsters in your opponent’s possession with that Attribute cannot activate their effects or attack. These changes last for the rest of this turn.
(2) “True Draco” and “True King” monster effects in your hand can also destroy face-up monsters on your opponent’s field.
Now let's go with some important rulings from Konami:

Q: During my Main Phase 1, I activate the effect of True King V.F.D., the Beast by declaring the DARK Attribute. During this turn, if my opponent then activates Call of the Haunted and Special Summons a Kozmo Dark Destroyer, can they activate its effect?
A: The effect of True King V.F.D., the Beast applies not only to monsters that are face-up on the field at the time the effect resolves, but also any monsters that are Special Summoned afterward. In this scenario, since DARK was declared, your opponent can Special Summon a Kozmo Dark Destroyer with the effect of Call of the Haunted, but the effect of Kozmo Dark Destroyer cannot be activated.


Source: http://www.db.yugioh-card.com/yugiohdb/faq_search.action?ope=5&fid=20540&keyword=&tag=-1 

Q: During my opponent’s Main Phase 1, I activate the effect of True King V.F.D., the Beast by declaring the LIGHT Attribute. During this turn, if my opponent then Normal Summons a Double Resonator from their hand, can they activate its effect?
A: In this scenario, while the effect of True King V.F.D., the Beast is applied, all face-up monsters on the field will become LIGHT until the end of this turn. When your opponent Normal Summons a Double Resonator, which is originally a FIRE monster, it immediately becomes a LIGHT monster, and its effects cannot be activated. Furthermore, if Double Resonator is sent to the Graveyard, it stops being treated as a LIGHT monster, so its second effect can be activated from the Graveyard.


Source: http://www.db.yugioh-card.com/yugiohdb/faq_search.action?ope=5&fid=20594&keyword=&tag=-1 


Since this is a quick effect that can also be used on your opponent's turn, that counts opponent's standby phase, main phase and battle phase (even draw phase).  It doesn't need to remain on the field for its effect to wear off. By simply using its effect and resolve it, you can shut an entire turn as most plays in the meta involves monsters on the field and the battle phase is really crucial if you want to win on that turn. To add, it can even prevent hand traps or grave effects from activating if they are of the same attribute as the one declared. This card is definitely the beast and might be the best card to counter any deck if you are able to use it correctly and effectively.

This is one of the obvious additions that I planned even before the release of Maximum Crisis as it can benefit my Reactor Dragons as VFD only requires two generic level 9 monsters. I know that being able to OTK is not enough in this format, we must have a way to control the game and that's what VFD brings.


Moving on, here is the decklist that I used. This build is slightly different from the one I used in Asian Championship Qualifier 2017 (For those who read my previous article) but chances of summoning "Chaos Ancient Gear Giant" is more consistent due to the second copy of "Overload Fusion".

Low quality image at its best. Side deck can be found at the bottom row.


There you go! Hope you enjoy reading this random article and I'm looking forward for more exciting tournament reports to be posted here in the near future. Right now, I'm am planning to build the upcoming Dinosaur SD and hopefully, it turns out well and better than ancient gears. For those who are using the same deck as mine, hope I was able to enlighten your hearts.

Cancer free as always.


See you around!

Arcknight

No comments:

Post a Comment